Interactive Viewer
Search Facts & Figures
 
Printer-Friendly version Export to Excel
 
Chronology of New York Stock Exchange (1792-1929)
DateEvent
May 17, 1792Twenty-four brokers subscribed to the original brokers' agreement. This was the first organized stock market in New York. Met under buttonwood tree at what is now 68 Wall Street.
March 8, 1817Adopted a Constitution and the name of "New York Stock & Exchange Board".
April 8, 1817Moved indoors, renting a second floor room at 40 Wall Street. (They subsequently moved some ten or twelve times before locating on the present site at the corner of Broad and Wall Streets.)
March 16, 1830Dullest day in history of Stock Exchange. Thirty-one shares of stock were traded in: 26 shares of United States Bank at 119 and 5 shares of Morris Canal and Banking Co. at 75 1/4. (From The New York Stock Exchange, by E. Clarence Stedman.)
February 1, 1832Buying in for non-delivery authorized.
December 16, 1835Fire destroyed 648 buildings in New York, including the Merchants Exchange building where the sessions of the Board were being held at that time.
January 29, 1863Title of exchange was changed from
January 30, 1863New York Stock Exchange Building Company was organized.
October 6, 1863New York Stock Exchange Building Co. bought its first property at 13 Wall Street, and 4 New Street.
December 9, 1865New York Stock Exchange moved into the first building of its own at 10 and 12 Broad Street. (This is part of the present site of the Exchange.)
July 27, 1866Opening of Cyrus W. Field's Atlantic Cable led to inauguration of arbitrage in which brokers profited by price differences between New York and London markets for U.S. shares.
February 8, 1905Inauguration of arbitrage. Opening of Atlantic Cable.
November 15, 1867Stock tickers were first introduced.
October 23, 1868Memberships were made salable.
February 1, 1869Exchange required registering of securities by listed companies to prevent their over-issuance.
May 1, 1869Government of Exchange was vested in Governing Committee of 28 members. The membership of the Exchange at this time was 533.
May 1, 1869Government Bond Department members were offered full privileges of membership in the New York Stock Exchange on the payment of $1,000 each.
May 8, 1869The New York Stock Exchange and the Open Board of Brokers adopted a plan of consolidation. The Governing Committee was increased to forty members. By the foregoing changes the membership of the New York Stock Exchange was increased to 1,060, composed as follows:
 New York Stock Exchange: 533
 Government Bond Department: 173
 Open Board of Brokers: 354
 Total: 1,060
September 24, 1869Gold speculation resulted in
September 1, 1871Continuous market in stocks established. Previously there had been
May 22, 1872Stock Exchange purchased all outstanding stock of the Building Co.
April 3, 1873Gratuity Fund system was adopted for the payment of $10,000 to the family of a deceased member. This amount was increased to $20,000 on March 28, 1930.
September 18, 1873Stock Exchange closed at noon because of failure of Jay Cooke & Co., promoters of Northern Pacific Railroad. Many failures were imminent.
September 30, 1873Stock Exchange reopened. Between September 18 and the end of the year, there were 57 Stock Exchange failures, besides the closing of the Union Trust Co., the Bank of the Commonwealth and other financial institutions.
December 1, 1873Present hours of 10 A. M. to 3 P. M. were established.
November 13, 1878First telephones were introduced in the Exchange.
October 22, 1879Exchange bought the adjoining property south of the Exchange, 24 feet on Broad Street and 68 feet on New Street.
November 12, 1879Forty new memberships, bringing the total membership of the Exchange to 1,100, were authorized to be sold in order to pay for the enlargement of the Building.
January 29, 1881Electric annunciator board installed for
October 1, 1881Enlargement of Exchange building was completed.
May 6, 1884Failure of Grant and Ward, Marine Bank and the Metropolitan Bank, resulted in 15 Stock Exchange failures.
March 25, 1885Department of Unlisted Securities was established.
December 15, 1886First day on which stock transactions totaled more than of the signing of the original brokers' agreement.
May 17, 1892Organization of Stock Clearing House, on the 100th anniversary of the signing of the original brokers' agreement.
January 23, 1895NYSE recommended that listed companies publish and distribute to stockholders annual financial statements.
April 30, 1901Exchange took up temporary quarters in Produce Exchange.
April 30, 1901First day on which stock transactions totaled more than 3,000,000 shares. (3,234,339 shares.)
May 9, 1901Northern Pacific panic.
April 23, 1903New Building (18 Broad Street) opened.
December 7, 1904First railroad stock,
October 23, 1907Call Money loaned as high as 125%, following the suspension of payments by the Knickerbocker Trust Company on the previous day. This period is generally known as the panic of 1907 and was accompanied by numerous suspensions of payments by banks. The Clearing House later issued
January 1, 1909Trading in bonds
March 31, 1910Unlisted Securities Department abolished.
July 31, 1914Exchange closed due to pending outbreak of World War.
November 28, 1914Exchange reopened for trading in bonds under restrictions.
December 12, 1914Exchange reopened for trading in a limited number of stocks under restrictions.
December 15, 1914Trading in all stocks permitted under restrictions.
April 1, 1915All restrictions removed.
October 13, 1915Basis of quoting and trading in stocks changed from % of par value to dollars.
November 29, 1918Building Co. bought Mortimer Building at corner of Wall and New Streets.
January 2, 1919Separate ticker system for bond quotations was installed.
January 1, 1920Building Co. leased the Wilkes Building at corner of Wall and Broad Streets for 21 years with three renewal privileges.
April 26, 1920Establishment of Stock Clearing Corporation and first day's settlement through the Day Branch.
September 16, 1920Wall Street explosion. Thirty killed and over 100 injured.
March 22, 1921Stock Clearing Corporation began clearance of loans for members.
April 26, 1922Questionnaire for regular examination of member firms' financial condition inaugurated.
June 6, 1922Better Business Bureau of New York established for fighting financial frauds.
October 2, 1922Addition to Stock Exchange (11 Wall Street) opened.
March 22, 1923Basis of trading in U.S. Government bonds changed from 50ths to 32nds.
October 30, 1924Sliding scale of commission rates adopted.
April 25, 1923System of assignable stock transfer receipts by the Stock Clearing Corporation was inaugurated, facilitating use of securities in transfer as collateral for loans.
February 5, 1925Special Code of listing requirements for Foreign Government bonds was announced.
June 25, 1925Revised Constitution effective.
January 19, 1926Stock Exchange commenced monthly reports of the aggregate amount of call and time borrowings of its members. Federal Reserve Bank made similar statement with respect to loans to brokers by its members.
January 27, 1926The Exchange issued statement that
March 3, 1926Record volume of stock shares traded in (New York Times figures) 3,786,111.
January 3, 1927Trading inaugurated in inactive stocks in 10 share units.
October 7, 1927Special requirements for listing of foreign internal shares announced.
November 17, 1927First listing of foreign stock under new requirements. (Austrian Credit-Anstalt.)
December 3, 1927Abbreviated system of reporting quotations inaugurated, omitting one or more figures of price.
January 27, 1928Stock Clearing Corporation inaugurated plan for central delivery of securities between members of the Stock Clearing Corporation and the Bankers Trust Co. and the Guaranty Trust Co. at the Day Branch of the Stock Clearing Corporation. (See also under date of April 18, 1929.)
March 20, 1928Mr. E.H.H. Simmons, President of the Exchange, addressed the American Chamber of Commerce in London, at London, England, on "The Common Purposes of British and American Finance," and on March 29th addressed The Pilgrims, in London, on "The Anglo-American Relationship." These were the first occasions upon which a president of the Exchange ever spoke officially outside of the United States.
April 13, 1928Plans were announced for new and speedier stock ticker, capable of running at more than twice the speed of tickers then in use.
April 18, 1928The Governing Committee voted to admit to the list the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 4%. Funding Loan of 1960-1990 amounting to £388,777,644.
April 26, 1928The Governing Committee voted to admit to the list the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 5%. War Loan of 1929-1947 amounting to £2,088,173,638.
May 14, 1928New Bond Room opened, adding approximately 6,000 square feet to trading floor.
June 12, 1928First day on which stock transactions totaled more than 5,000,000 shares (5,252,425 shares).
October 1, 1928New central quotation system, for the reporting of bid and asked quotations, inaugurated experimentally at six posts on the trading floor. On February 11, 1929, complete service was inaugurated at all posts.
December 21, 1928Purchase of Commercial Cable and Blair Buildings, adjoining present site of Stock Exchange, was announced.
January 2, 1929Members of Exchange began wearing identification badges on floor.
February 7, 1929Membership increased by 275 new seats, each member receiving the right to one-fourth of a new seat which he could dispose of by sale or transfer within three years. With the transfer of the last of these rights on March 3, 1932, the membership of the Exchange was brought to 1,375.
February 22, 1929Mr. E.H.H. Simmons, President of the Exchange, addressed the American Club of Paris on "An Indissoluble Friendship."
April 18, 1929Stock Clearing Corporation started a system of central delivery between members of the Stock Clearing Corporation and also between members and a selected list of non-members (banks and trust companies), in a limited number of securities. This list of securities was extended until, on May 29, 1929, it included all cleared stocks. Cleared bonds were
 added later in 1929; non-cleared stocks in 1930; U. S. Government bonds in 1932; and non-cleared bonds on January 23, 1933, bringing into the Central Delivery system all securities listed on the Exchange.
June 7, 1929Special, tentative requirements for the listing of investment trust shares announced.
August 3, 1929Stock Exchange approved opening of branch offices on trans-Atlantic liners.
October 1, 1929High record, Stock Exchange members' loans ($8,549,383,979)
October 29, 1929Record volume of stock shares traded in. (Reported volume: 16,410,030 shares).
November 25, 1929Stock Clearing Corporation began clearance of convertible bonds through the Night Clearing Branch.